Thursday, April 8, 2010

What is aromatherapy?

As some of you know I have started my training to become a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist. That being so, I decided to start a blog to share some of the wonderful information I'm learning as I believe using essential oils in our everyday lives can "balance, harmonize, and promote the health of body, mind, and spirit".

Aromatherapy... most folks understand the "aroma" part however they miss the "therapy" part. Therapy is actually the treatment of a health issue, be it physical, emotional, or spiritual. As we take responsibility for our treatments it behooves us to know not only what we're putting in our bodies but to also know what we're putting on our bodies. (Remember, your skin is your largest organ.) You may be thinking I'm only talking about the physical, however it cannot be separated from the emotional and spiritual. Which is one of the things I love most about essential oils; they work on multiple levels.

Now, even though the "aroma" part seems obvious, I must take a moment to say that there is a difference between fragrance oils and essential oils. If you truly engage in using oils therapeutically then you must use therapeutic grade essential oils. The reason is that most fragrance oils are essential oils that have been altered or mixed with other oils to make them cheaper; some are not even oils but synthetically produced to "smell" like an oil. By buying an inferior grade oil you will not receive the healing you desire.

And guess what? Your nose knows. Yes, it knows the difference between the two. Ever get a headache from a scented candle shop? That won't happen with therapeutic grade oils.

So, what is aromatherapy? It is a natural, non invasive use of therapeutic grade essential oils to assist our body's "natural ability to balance, regulate, heal and maintain itself". As it is making a world of difference in my life, I would love for you to experience the benefits of aromatherapy in yours.

If you have any questions about how to use therapeutic grade essential oils or where to purchase them, feel free to contact me at:
libbygatlin@gmail.com

Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment